It appears that the SGA of Western Kentucky University has gone full on virtue signalling as they recently passed a resolution that would grant black students free tuition in hopes of absolving themselves of their sins which include not being black. Here are some of the ridiculous reasons given for this drastic action that would be forced upon the student population:
- Universities like to claim diversity without acknowledging the negative effects of slavery and segregation on black students
- Past racial disparity has evolved into economic disparity in today’s society, making it difficult for black youth to attend college
- If you really care about diversity, if you really care about inclusion, if you really care about making this campus safe and accessible to everybody, having the student government’s support of reparation for black students would be amazing
- A lot of times equality can feel like oppression for those who are losing their advantage, but that’s not a reason we shouldn’t fight for equality
- The point of a resolution like this is basically to make a huge statement saying that the Student Government Association recognizes the impact that slavery has had on black people today and that changes need to be made
Alright lets start by breaking down what is actually being stated and then I will demonstrate the lunacy behind these reasons. Firstly its utter rubbish for someone to insinuate that giving one demographic of the student population preferential treatment is somehow a form of equality. In case this person didn’t know, equality (ɪˈkwɒlɪtɪ) is the quality of being the same in quantity or measure or value or status. In other words giving some free tuition and not others doesn’t constitute equality. Now can you see why some students might feel its oppression? Because it is. Additionally what course of action is going to be taken for those black students with the financial means to pay their own tuition bill. Are they simply going to receive these benefits by association? It seems rather baffling that a society that desires to be as egalitarian as possible would enact such policies based on someones race. Furthermore who is going to pay for this free tuition? Is it going to come from endowments and donations from Alumni? Because I can already foresee that not being feasible and Western Kentucky could easily see that backfire as they lose enrollment and donations. Is the government going to foot the bill? I’m not sure many already cash strapped constituents would be keen to see their tax dollars go to such a project.
On the subject of slavery that is entirely true. Historically blacks were held under bondage and in the south did suffer under Jim Crow laws. That being said why does their oppression get preferential retroactive benefits that other oppressed groups don’t receive. Are the Jews who suffered from the Holocaust entitled to additional benefits? What about the Armenians? What about other ethnic groups who suffered slave conditions? Native Americans? Where do we draw the line for which groups are entitled to retroactive justice and which groups are not? Or is the entire point of this exercise for everyone not white with a grievance to receive benefits until satisfied? Not only does this appear to be a form of racism via identity politics but in a society that desires equality these policies are not what we want. Better methods for increasing diversity would be increasing the number of qualified blacks into your universities. Helping said qualified blacks remain in school academically and encouraging them to major in hard sciences and not just the social sciences would be vastly more beneficial. Blacks at colleges and universities would be unbelievably stigmatized as not qualified due to this which is why I wouldn’t personally take free tuition based on my race even if offered. I see no reason why you would want to provoke and alienate your fellow students and in the process give ammunition for others to question your credentials and ability to learn. And at the end of the day whether black students get free tuition won’t change their views or identity politics. They will remain able to complain about white supremacy and the effects of slavery I guarantee it.